Chiesa di Santa Maria Maggiore

Milazzo

     English version Below

Dedicata in origine a S. Elmo, nel 1632 fu chiamata “di Gesù e Maria”. Rimodernata nel 1700 con strutture decorative rococò e affrescata nel 1762 dal pittore Scipio Manni, si compone di un Altare Maggiore e di quattro altari laterali: il primo, a ovest, dedicato al Crocifisso, il secondo a due santi e alla Trinità. Il primo ad est è dedicato all’Immacolata, il secondo a Gesù Bambino. Dietro l’Altare Maggiore è posto il quadro della madonna della neve.
Nella sera del 20 luglio 1860 vi riposò Giuseppe Garibaldi,  dopo la vittoria sulle truppe borboniche.

It was built under the name of S. Erasimo but later, in 1632, was dedicated to "Jesus and Mary". In 1662 it became Parish. In 1700 the structure was rinovated with a very rich rococo style and painted in 1762 by the well known Scipio Manni.
It has a main altar and four other minors. The first westward is dedicated to the Crucifix, the second to two Saints and the Trinity. The first eastward is dedicated to the Immaculate  and to some other Saints and the second to the Child Jesus and other saints. Behind the altar it is possible to appreciate the picture of the “Madonna della neve”.
Giuseppe Garibaldi spent the night between 20th and 21st of July 1860 in front of this church.